As a reference, you can consider the JVEG (German Act on Payment and Compensation by Judiciary Authorities), but otherwise it's fairly common that both client and translator agree upon a individual price for a certain translation. As far as I'm concerned, I always offer a quotation (fixed price) in advance for every translation/interpreting service.
As a guideline, here is a list of approximate rates I may apply in order to set a price quotation:
- Minimum charge of 180 € per order in the case of translation, proofreading and transcription services.
- Minimum charge for urgent specialist translations and sworn translations: 240 €.
- Quick quotation for sworn translations Spanish-Catalan-English-German: between 75 and 95 € per page.
- Delivery by ordinary post: 5 €.
- For technical translations, I usually apply a certain rate per word. Depending on the difficulty level of the text, the rate might vary between 0.18 and 0.30 € per word.
And how much do professional interpreting services cost? 🗣 🎤
The costs involved in interpreting must be calculated differently, since they often include hotel accommodation, meals, transportation costs and preparatory work. In addition, the interpreting services are commonly charged per full day or half-day.
Approximate fees for interpreting services according to their different modalities (simultaneous, consecutive and liaison interpreting):
The lists above show a global idea of rates I can apply for several translation and interpreting services in English, German, Catalan and Spanish as a conference interpreter and sworn translator and interpreter in Germany.
- Liaison (or bilateral) interpreting (usually between two parties face-to-face): between 400 € and 500 €.
- Simultaneous interpreting (conference real-time interpreting in a booth with a second interpreter): between 600 € and 800 € per interpreter.
- Consecutive interpreting (another kind of conference interpreting between a speaker and an audience, but with a time lag and after taking notes): between 600 € and 800 €.
- Interpreting before a Notary Public (only in German, Spanish or Catalan): 600 €.
- Short-time interpreting as a sworn interpreter at the Civil Registry Office in Germany (Standesamt): 300 €.
- Interpreting at your wedding or at your funeral: between 300 € and 500 €.